PDA

View Full Version : I need a airsoft training mentor

Turtle
06-13-2011, 08:47 PM
For many years I have been at a disadvantage at airsoft in the fact I am not a good tactician. I have been told that any type of training would not be feasible due to my aspurgers disorder by multiple people. The fact is airsoft in my life is dying a very painful death. My tactics are only getting worse because recently I have not had any form of drilling and learning tactics. I only have been told either this is not for me or is classified.

I will only continue to get worse the longer somebody isn't willing to help me.
I need as much training I can get to enhance my abilities as an airsofter. After a incident with win, I have been using 82d customer as a source for training. I feel he has not been very helpful in helping me out.

I am looking somebody who willing to work with me on airsoft tactics and not dismiss me due to disorders.

Thankyou for your understanding,
Turtle

Zen
06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Turtle my friend, you dont need more training to be a better airsofter. I have watched you many times at games, and to be honest...I havent seen you actually attempt to PLAY airsoft very often or for any extended period of time. You spend a great deal of time putting on and taking off gear, talking to folks down at the rest area, changing your gear again, etc. Then when you enter the field, I notice you dont stay out there for more than a few minutes at a time.

Airsoft is not like professional bowling or golf. You dont need to "perfect" your movements to be successful and have fun! What I suggest, is that you concentrate less on gear and specialized items, and just run a very simple rig. A vest with some mags, a hat or helmet, and your rifle. Then, stick close to a small group of players and WATCH them. You dont need to ask them 500 questions to know what they are doing...just OBSERVE what they are doing...and do those same things. Emulate thier style of movements and watch how they react to threats or enemy contact. Watch when they shoot...and when they DONT shoot....to learn what a real threat is as opposed to just a noise in the brush or a target that is out of range.

If you can do this, you will find that it is much more natural than trying to force yourself to remember a specific tactic or lesson that you heard verbally. Its like this...I can TELL you how to build a simple bird house for 12 hours...and it might still be difficult to do....or you can watch me build a bird house and then just copy what I did....you get it? There just comes a point where doing is the only way to move forward.

I dont think anyone is dismissing you. You simply need to take what you already know and get on the field and USE it...and that will help you gain confidence to do more as time goes on :)

Turtle
06-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Zen,

I it is not as easy for me to think through things on my own. If I have something to work with then I am able to do better. Even though i may disagree on that one detail, I do agree with the fact i need to be in the field as much as possible to become better.

Also, I have been written off becuase of aspuregers by some people. I recently talked to a company who advertises to the ncao and they said they did not want to take money becuase I wouldnt like the sniper recon training. I rather not say who it is on open forums to avoid embarrassment.

Problem I see is i need work on basic tactics such as land nav, cqb, marksmanship, movement, camoflage, decision making, fragos, radio use ect...

I feel anything involving specialized training is over my head at this point (sf training). I need to know the basics first.

Turtle
06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I figure to be more specific,
I need somebody to show me how to do the things i mentioned above about basic tactics. I need a refresher every so often. I remember going to recondo training day with hambone about 3-5 years ago and it was one of the best and most informative sessions i had ever been to. That is the kind of support i need like I had in Durham. I also went to some cqb training with rico in durham and a op frostbite with preacher and splatmaster teached cqb training. These are the types of opportunites that i need with structure rather than relying on self-training.

Turtle......................Come on out to the SWC training day at CoolCombat on Saturday, July 9!! I will speak to you more about any training you desire!! All you need is the basic concepts on the field, and then start running with guys on the field. You will be shocked how fast you grow!!

Turtle
06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Hello Karma,

Good to hear from you as far as the winston-salem plan, there are a few issues.
1. It is 122 miles each direction at first glance.
2. I may be out of town after July 7 when my friend goes out so I forgot to mention that sorry. I will be visiting my father until early august.
Im just figuring out ideas now.
I am hoping that when fix gets his field up and running in Fayetteville that maybe something could go on down there.

Zen
06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Turtle, your reply kind of makes my point for me. This isnt war. Its a game. It's glorified cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, just a kids game of tag with big boys weapons. This isnt Iraq.

I understand that you are trying to emulate the very best players we have....and they happen to be either ex military or present military, but I feel that is where your problem is. Those advanced tactics and idea's are not nescessary to have a great time playing airsoft....and you have to start somewhere small. If at some point you wish to aspire to a higher level of play, than thats great....but you need to just PLAY first. Get comfortable in your own skin on the field. The rest will come!

Our games are about shooting the bad guys more than they can shoot us. Let the officers worry about land nav and fragos and radio stuff. Just run with a squad and when the leader says "contact left!", you pay attention left. When the other guys shoot...you shoot. When they move...YOU move. It's easier than you are making it. I could spend 2 hours lecturing about how to respond to different battlefield situations...but when it starts to HAPPEN on the field...theres no time for me to answer questions like " Hey Zen, what should I be doing right now?" You just do what everyone ELSE is doing :) I can't really explain it any more simply than that.

Fix
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Emulate yourself. Don't try to be 40 star sgt general captain admiral spec ops CIA agent navy seal spetnaz.. play as yourself, that's what I do. It helps me learn a lot more, and trust me, im a perfectionist in everything I do but playing airsoft, and that allows me to enjoy it a lot more.

Turtle
06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
I do agree with your conclusions zen and fix but, I need to add to what I know. I just want to learn basic stuff to start out with. I am more concerned with knowledge or lack of it at this point. Like if somebody told me +3 others to clear a building i need to be able to do it. I dont need to just stop in the middle of the room and let my whole team get killed. I want to integrate my own style of play. But I want to just raise the bar a little more. I dont need sf training. I just want basic infantry stuff that i can apply to airsoft.

Turtle
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
In addition my aspuregers will cause me to face indecision and if I have more information on airsoft tactics I will be less likely to seize up in motion as i did in cqb training with valhalla. I over come this by having one guy pull me into the room and the guy behind me push.

Turtle
06-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Zen and Fix, I dont mean his critically but you are missing my point. I only asked for basic stuff in airsoft for now so I am not trying to be a seal operative ect... I need somebody to go over different tactics with me. A lot of times I actually get fed up in airsoft because I dont know what to do in certain situations such as firefight, ambush, ect... I realize this is not the real army but, there is still a need to improve my very poor skills. I dont enjoy having poor skills it is actually an anchor to me when I try to learn alone and only makes me upset so basic training is something that will make me happy.

Fix
06-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Aim shoot standing
Aim shoot prone
Aim shoot laying down
Aim shoot while moving
Aim shoot while targets are moving.

Strong side vs weak side. Simply means stick with the large number of guys and shoot at the lesser number of guys.

Avoid 50/50s. This means avoid getting caught in even shootouts that will go no where, if you don't have the advantage and your not holding an important ground, move until you do.

Perfect that and you will have the basics down. The rest is simply learn as you go. If someone tells you to clear a building.... just do it... I mean don't be afraid to get shot, I won't be mad if I tell you to go in and you come out shot, you tried, but while you do this watch the other guys and see how they do it. Then practice until you find what works for you.

Only thing i know how to do is aim a shoot and run. Turns out this is gurillia fighting, and is very effective. Try it out.

Like the guy on the last samurai said, "to many mind, mind on people, mind on sword, no mind"... well that's the jist of what he said, point being don't think hard, don't worry what others think, just focus on shooting the opfor.

Turtle
06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks Fix!
These are EXACTLY the pieces of info I need. Stuff that is specific and can be practiced. I think you are on the ball now!

Fix
06-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Or I like this quote, from gods and generals.

"red, blue, green, now how am I supposed to know where to shoot?"
"you Dang fool! You shoot at the man that's shooting at you"

And it truly is that simple.

Zen
06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry Turtle. What I see, is 12 year old kids that have played backyard airsoft for 3 years and they have a great time at our games. They dont worry about "slicing the pie" or clearing rooms. NO ONE is going to give you an order to clear a building...I can promise you that. These games arent Irene. I only suggested that you focus on the FUN aspect as opposed to being so serious about worrying you are going to get your buddies killed off. I make mistakes that gets my teammate killed all the time. I learn from those mistakes, but there's always new situations. We get killed, we go to respawn...thats part of the game. A simple instruction like " ok, we are attacking the schoolhose. Half of you put suppressing fire on those windows, while I take the other half through the front door" is easy to understand and I'm certain you can manage that. It doesnt require training....just listening and then doing.:)

BigCoffinHunter
06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Dude, I gotta go with zen and fix on this... Its not real war. It's just a hobby/sport for some. Yea this game requires "tactics" and teamwork, but in the end it's about having fun. IMO the only kind of classes needed for airsoft is safety, the rest such as tactics/teamwork comes with playing the game first hand. Each skirmish/game/day you play doesnt need to be up to Irene standards, stuff like that is for the true hardcore guys whom want to simulate the real thing as much as possible while standard skirmishes/games are just to have fun. If you see a group of dudes at a field one day and they look like they know what they're doing, dont be afraid to ask to roll with them for the day, everyone at XK and surrounding fields are chill. They're not going to say no, roll with some guys and observe what they do. Hope you get what I'm saying. All in all, Zen's right with this one man. Just go out to enjoy yourself.

RJT
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Turtle,

Let me tell you my thoughts on this. Most times airsoft does not have dedicated "training" like in LE or military. Sure some teams practice and train but for 95% of the airsoft population they just go with the flow and have a good time at the games. Most people learn by doing it. I can promise you 90% of the people involved in airsoft know just enough to be dangerous in real world situations. Does this make them a bad airsofter? No, because they have a great time and go home a happy person because they were doing something they liked to do.

Think of it this way without "dedicated" training days and time in airsoft that each game you play in is just that, training and practice. So what if your buddies get killed over a mistake you made. It is a game and nothing more. Even in real world training your buddies get killed. That is the point of training to learn from those mistakes.

You may want to look on Youtube for some videos that may help you. There are also many military manuals that cover a vast variety of subjects that could help you. You can find these all over Ebay.

Not sure what weapon you are carrying but you may would be best suited as a support gunner role. There is less thinking and more spraying suppressive fire. Come to think of it, this sounds like a pretty fun role if you ask me. With the prices of M249 and M60 now from A&K you may want to consider that.

My point is that airsoft usually dosent have any official training that is mandatory like in LE and military. So use each game to learn. I dont know you but obviously some posting here does. From what I read you dont really play much at the games. Get in there and play and you will learn. The more you do it the more you will learn. Because of your Asperger's It may take you a little longer but I am sure you can get it. Will you ever be a “Hero or CQB Master” on your team? Who knows. One thing for sure is if you are not out utilizing the time on the field you will never know that.

The main thing is to have a good time, enjoy yourself and be safe at all times.

RJT
06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Here is a disk with plenty of information to get you started on training and tactics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-NAVY-MARINES-USMC-TRAINING-MANUALS-Books-CD-/160446798769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255b5fdbb1

I dont know who these people are selling but I found it on Ebay doing a search for you.

Go to Youtube and type in "Airsoft Training Video" and their are videos that could help you.

rusty65
06-15-2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/

This website has some field manuals for free.