PDA

View Full Version : New North Korea news

ravenger
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Note: Im not trying to start a political flame war and if it does head that way i request the mods lock this.

Did anyone catch on the news today that North Korea released a statement that basically said stop the training in South Korea or we will bomb both South Korea and the US.

Im curious as to what sanctions we have already placed on them and what else we could possibly do about their threats
Are we suppose to just sit around and listen to them threaten us?

I consider alot of you guys on here more informed than me so thats why Im asking for the info thanks:)

Smirnov
03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
AAHHH sounds like the Cold War, The Soviets Demand we do this, and in turn we protest that. All fairly harmless gamesmanship, Unless you count that Cuban Missle thing. That came very close to getting ugly. So much so, when the Soviets blinked they did not respond through regular channels for fear that it would take too long, they broadcast the news that they were pulling their ships back , On radio moscow because they new the Americans we listenening to everyword.
Sure, we sit back and ignore the little dictator, to take him seriously and enter a pissing match gives him legitmacy. Let him run his mouth when he steps too far out of line his Chi-com handlers will get him back where China is happy.

He is counting on on the current US leadership being weakened at home and abroad. Hoping to gain concessions. FAT CHANCE!

Ronin
03-08-2010, 09:44 PM
It's nothing really new here, as North Korea has been making such statements for decades now. They do this, we respond back with harsh words, then we get distracted by another country/crisis like Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan where we are more concerned militarily. Eventually, things just blow over. At least, they usually do. The US really cannot afford its forces stretched further than they already are, which is already quite considerable. We have a wonderful Armed Forces, but they simply cannot be everywhere all the time!

ravenger
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
. The US really cannot afford its forces stretched further than they already are, which is already quite considerable. We have a wonderful Armed Forces, but they simply cannot be everywhere all the time!

Actually we have alot of guys already in south korea including alot of marines that were training in Golden Cobra a few weeks back. Since Im not completely up to date I take China and North Korea are still strong allies?

Smirnov
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
More like Master and puppet. That is the way the relationship has always been.
We keep a good number of our troops in SoutH Korea all the time. The North has huge tunnels under the boder that they can bring tanks through. ALL in all it is Snafu with North Korea.

Ace
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
so in the first paragraph of this there actully saying they r gonna "blow up" south korea and the U.S?
wow

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/south-korea-military-exer_n_489427.html

Smirnov
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Did you hear about the North Korean comando sent into south Korea to Blow up an m-1 abrams???
He burnt his lips on the exhaust pipe!!!

Ronin
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
We will always have lots of troops stationed there, under strong active protocols. We have had people stationed there since the Korean War, and will likely keep troops stationed there for the very long term future. Smirnov is right about "Master and Puppet", North Korea's strength is largely backed by China internationally speaking, but they are not the greatest allies. China ensures North Korea the ability to bargain with Western countries at times, and do help them in some ways.

I'm not sure if you caught it on the news, but the other day the President/Prime Minister of Iran made some extreme comments regarding the US and 9/11. He said essentially that it was a ruse made by the US gov't to invade other countries, that it was a coordinated effort made by our media with our own government. It's reasons like this that signal why Iran is more likely a US threat than North Korea, but you also might want to read up on the Pakistan/India conflict and struggle for nuclear weapons there. That also ties into the regional instability of Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Interesting stuff, but very, very complicated!

fingersticks
03-08-2010, 11:35 PM
It's this kind of stuff that scares the shit out of me. Sorry, but it's hard to put it any other way.

Smirnov
03-09-2010, 12:23 AM
It's this kind of stuff that scares the shit out of me. Sorry, but it's hard to put it any other way.

Relax! I grew up in an age that had us hide under our school desks to "protect us" from Soviet nuke strike. The threat was real, very real at times. In the early 80's under Yuri Andropov A missle defence station registed Missle flares over North America. The proper procedure was for the watch office to order a Launch Of Soviet missles to retaliate. The Watch officer was unsure that the data was true. He was contacted by the Command of the Moscow military district, asking what was his status. He kept checking and rechecking the data, but refused to order a strike. 37 minutes later at the time after the first US missle would have detonated, he started to relax. It turns out that A solar storm had interfeared with the Soviet lanch detection equiptment. This man's cool thinking adverted a nuclear war. 1 hour later he was relived of his post and then dismissed from the army with the equivalent of a disshonorable discharge for his trouble. ( 100% true story)
So dont get upset, this is all small patatoes. Kim Jon ill in the head will talk shit but in the end he knows better, to launch Nukes agianst the US is sucide.

Lefty
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
In the eyes of the Chicom govt, North Korea is like a red headed step child. China will only react against us to secure power over Tiawan and NK will stand alone if it moves but will be armed by Russia and China. The thing to remember here is to avoid an incident comperable to the Gulf of Tolkin (Vietnam).

ravenger
03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
thanks for all the info guys.:)

Panzermensch
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Technically both Koreas are still in a state of war with each other.