PDA

View Full Version : Special Report on Mesh Masks at Thumpy's 3-D TODAY

ThumpMaster6
04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Check out our SPECIAL REPORT from Doctor Airsoft at AirsoftMedicine.com….as he blows Mesh Goggles out of the water! Share it with your buds…Friends don’t let Friends wear MESH! Today at Thumpy’s 3-D House of Airsoft: www.Thumpmaster6.wordpress.com (http://www.thumpmaster6.wordpress.com/)

Ace
04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
whew would hate to be wearing that mask...ill just stick with my goggles

BoogerRed
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Man do one of those Army of Two masks from Cactus Hobby. As much as I tried I couldn't punch a hole in one of those with almost 1,000 rounds at 380fps.

Homer
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
he at it point frikkin BLANK, of COURSE is gonna go thru, how many people are gonna get THAT close with a weapon like that? We have MEDS out there, and if youre shooting at someone point blank with a weapon that shoots 500 fps,. you deserve an ass kickin

Mother Hen
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
he at it point frikkin BLANK, of COURSE is gonna go thru, how many people are gonna get THAT close with a weapon like that? We have MEDS out there, and if youre shooting at someone point blank with a weapon that shoots 500 fps,. you deserve an ass kickin

While yes we do have MEDs...you also have to remember that unfortunately not everybody observes those MEDs. And this just shows what could be considered a "worst case senario" which is something I'd MUCH rather see on a mannequin head than on a real person's head!

BoogerRed
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd use one of those Cactus Hobby masks any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The test I did on one proved to me it could easily take it from point blank range because that's where I shot the hell out of one. My shins had more damage from the ricochet.

kckyller
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
whether or not its a WCS, that is a bullcrap test in my book, homer is right, thats the same as shooting a bullet proof glass wall, with a rocket launcher..."oh worst case scenario says this is a faulty piece of glass blah blah blah"...make it a REAL test then post a video guys, seriously...

fingersticks
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
whether or not its a WCS, that is a bullcrap test in my book, homer is right, thats the same as shooting a bullet proof glass wall, with a rocket launcher..."oh worst case scenario says this is a faulty piece of glass blah blah blah"...make it a REAL test then post a video guys, seriously...
I disagree. I think that a test like this should have to be passed to be used in game. Just at XK last saturday, a kid got lit up to face badly, with a gun shooting too hot to be used in cqb. Accidents happen, thats why eye pro has to be ansi rated. Plus shatters have to be taken into account also.

Ace
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
dont bio degradeable bbs shatter?

Toxic
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I use mesh goggles all the time and haven't had a problem yet. That gun was shooting hot as hell and point blank, if someone deiced to shoot me that close and with that gun they better hope im out for the count cus im sure a plastic pair of goggles won't stop a fist.

BoogerRed
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I've seen those mesh goggles and I personally wouldn't use 'em. The metal just doesn't seem up to par. I'm curious Toxic - How many rounds have you taken to the goggles?

If I didn't have such a damned enormous noggin I'd use one of those Cactus masks any day.

Toxic
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Well for starters I use these mesh goggles which are good but when I get some extra cash i'm going with stamped steel goggles that a place from Washington sells.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/product_p/33533.htm

How many BB's have I taken idk I mean I've shoot in the face plenty of times which involves a few shoots in the goggles as well. I havent had any fragments hit my eyes or anything honestly. Any bb that has hit them bounces off. I'm to heavy set to wear regular goggles cus I just fog them up and thats no fun.

Riptide
04-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Keep in mind these tests are done with wire-woven mesh lenses, which are a LOT less reliable than perforated steel lenses. I personally just stick with lenses since my ESS ones actually don't fog up.

BoogerRed
04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Well for starters I use these mesh goggles which are good but when I get some extra cash i'm going with stamped steel goggles that a place from Washington sells.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/product_p/33533.htm

How many BB's have I taken idk I mean I've shoot in the face plenty of times which involves a few shoots in the goggles as well. I havent had any fragments hit my eyes or anything honestly. Any bb that has hit them bounces off. I'm to heavy set to wear regular goggles cus I just fog them up and thats no fun.

Understood completely. I'm a fat bastard myself. I've found fan systems work pretty good personally. Used a Cactuc Hobby mask for one game but my head being as big as it is, it was hard to keep square on my face.

Ever shoot some bio's at your goggles to check for fragmentation?

Toxic
04-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Actually no I haven't tested them with bio's but at real-mils where you have to I haven't had a problem. The one thing about the goggles I use that i don't like are the size of the squares in the mesh. Heres the test with the stamped steel goggles that I want. They seem safer then the ones I got.

http://www.st6-airsoft.com/penatration_test.htm

BoogerRed
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Actually no I haven't tested them with bio's but at real-mils where you have to I haven't had a problem. The one thing about the goggles I use that i don't like are the size of the squares in the mesh. Heres the test with the stamped steel goggles that I want. They seem safer then the ones I got.

http://www.st6-airsoft.com/penatration_test.htm

Thanks for this. I've never seen this test before. I had heard from others but this looks pretty clear to me. 530fps at 6" is impressive.

Legs
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM
While yes we do have MEDs...you also have to remember that unfortunately not everybody observes those MEDs. And this just shows what could be considered a "worst case senario" which is something I'd MUCH rather see on a mannequin head than on a real person's head!

I'm with you on this. Think about walking around a corner right as someone shoots. I had this happen to me literally at the last game I played. I was shooting at someone outside my med when someone unexpectedly walked into a bb. Wire mesh is fine 99.9% of the time, but I don't like to leave that other 1% up to chance. I know my ESS's wouldn't do that.

xghostmakerx
04-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I ordered a pair of these goggles. Wire Mesh Goggles (http://actualairsoft.com/wp/?p=20#more-20)

I'll let you know how they work out

DAn

ThumpMaster6
04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm agreeing...and have since I pushed this along...that the original test is an extreme case. But, after accidentally lacing a guy at this kind of range (in the back, fortunately, not in the the face...but still...) these kinds of incidents can happen.

I'm ultra cautious about personal safety...comes from living with a dad/carpenter who still has all his fingers and eyes after 75 years, too....so I want my protection to be the best possible, and mesh that doesn't really protect you completely is not better than no protection at all.

Thumps...OVER

Lefty
04-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I sometimes wear mesh. I have prescription lenses and usually wear goggles w/ fan to prevent my glasses from fogging. I use the mesh as a back-up but would not trust them without my presciption glasses behind them.

GodOfDaTwinkies
04-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Being able to protect your eyes isn't merely related to the enemy shooting at you in or out of med ranges. It's also a protection against incidents such as FF, misfires, and negligent discharges. It could happen anywhere; at the staging area, in the heat of battle, or marching from point A to point B when your buddy has a rifle resting over his shoulder and trips. Don't assume that just because your are protected from it because of the rules that it can't happen. Prepare for the worst.

Splatmaster
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I remember an incident at Op EAGLE 1 where someone got lit up in the back of the head (stood up in front of their own team) from an extremely short distance with a weapon shooting pretty hot. It wasn't anyone fault, but those ranges are possible.