Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Thread: comtacs help

Grant

Default comtacs help

Hey guys so looking at buying a set peltor comtacs and while the comtacs are easy to come by i keep running into the problem of the radio. I know that the motorola sabers work but they have to be shipped off to get programed seeing as its hard to find someone to program them. Some of the other radios i found cost as much as the comtacs and that isn't really an amount i want to put in the set up.
    Basically what i want to know: is there a way to get comtacs to run with a cheaper civilian radio like a talk about or a mid priced radio that can easily be programed?

Pilgrim's Avatar TF16 Member

The problem may lie in the power output to the radio. If you have the right PTT connector (for example, a Motorola 1 pin that you want to hook up to a talkabout) the radio doesnt have enough power for both ears, and thus doesnt work. You can fix this problem by disconnecting one of the ears. It's relatively easy, but you'll only be able to hear out of one ear and if you want it to work again you'll have to solder it back on later.

Or you can buy a Motorola CP100 radio. That's what TF16 has. They'll run you ~$100 and are 2-pin but should be enough to power the Comtacs.

Hut's Avatar Senior Community Member
    The thriving Metropoli of Green-Salem / Winstonsboro

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Hey guys so looking at buying a set peltor comtacs and while the comtacs are easy to come by i keep running into the problem of the radio. I know that the motorola sabers work but they have to be shipped off to get programed seeing as its hard to find someone to program them. Some of the other radios i found cost as much as the comtacs and that isn't really an amount i want to put in the set up.
    Basically what i want to know: is there a way to get comtacs to run with a cheaper civilian radio like a talk about or a mid priced radio that can easily be programed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    The problem may lie in the power output to the radio. If you have the right PTT connector (for example, a Motorola 1 pin that you want to hook up to a talkabout) the radio doesnt have enough power for both ears, and thus doesnt work. You can fix this problem by disconnecting one of the ears. It's relatively easy, but you'll only be able to hear out of one ear and if you want it to work again you'll have to solder it back on later.

Or you can buy a Motorola CP100 radio. That's what TF16 has. They'll run you ~$100 and are 2-pin but should be enough to power the Comtacs.
    There's actually more to it than just the radio's output... There's the issue of the PTT as well... Comtacs and Sordins will not work w/ knock off chinese ptt units, as the microphones operate at a lower impedance than the PTT unit handles. So you'll be able to receive, but transmitting will be nonexistant. So that leaves you with having to find and buy a real deal PTT unit w/ the correct adapter for the type of radios that you eventually want to run... For a single pin motorola, that may be a tall order...

How much are you looking to spend? I've just completed some pretty extensive research for our team comms, so I may be able to point you in a reasonable direction based on your wants/needs/budget...

OP IRENE VII: TFR 3-2 Combat Medic
    OP IRENE VIII: DELTA 5-3/ MARSOC 6

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick assand Im all out of bubblegum. -George Nada

Grant

Default check in

after the game this past weekend we talked about getting vertex standard radios as team radios because we found a good deal and they work well from what we can tell. i called up an electrician that works with radios and he said that he might be able to create a converter from the nato 6 pin to vertex's connecter that way we can use the standard peltor ptt. not sure if thats gonna work but i guess its worth a try.
    Im not sure if you guys have ever tried doing that so if you have, your successes and failures would be greatly appreciated if they were shared.

i finally found a site that had comtac ptt's that work with motorola single pin but the put was $250 some. I'm not really looking to pay as much for a ptt as i do the comtacs.

New Community Member

In the same boat, I have two nice Cobras that came with a ptt earpiece and mic but I want to put a head set on them, problem of coures id radio is a single pin jack and all the headsets I find are 2 pin... Of course the dog decided to eat my charger cord so I have to fix that before worrying about the rest...