Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Wraith

Default FPS, Distance and You

Many new Airsoft players frequently ask the questions, "How far can my gun shoot?" and "What weight BB's should I use?" Ive found a nice chart for those who would like to gauge the best effective range that their gun could achieve while under optimal conditions. I hope this helps: http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...dsfsdfdsfs.jpg
    Last edited by Wraith; 09-27-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Group 13 Manager
    Major Moxy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Many new Airsoft players frequently ask the questions, "How far can my gun shoot?" and "What weight BB's should I use?" Ive found a nice chart for those who would like to gauge the max range that their gun could achieve while under optimal conditions. I hope this helps: http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...dsfsdfdsfs.jpg
    While that is a nice effort, and I appreciate the work but I dont think its quite accurate...I have a gun the chronod at 355 but have video of that same gun making kills UPHILL at 200+ feet.

FPS does NOT = Distance. your hopup has more effects on distance than the FPS does.

Wraith

If you look at the chart, it does clarify that this is when the weapon is shoulder fired at approximately 5 feet high and parallel to the ground. I never said that this was a completely accurate guide; however, its made to help determine the average range limits of a gun not its overall max range. In addition it allows players to decide which weight of 6mm BB will benefit there gun the most. Hop up does have a major impact on range; yet the combination of FPS and momentum are huge factors as well.
    Last edited by Wraith; 09-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.

immortalish's Avatar Junior Community Member

so its saying in my (soon to be) a&k sr25 i should use .42s?

Wraith

Absolutely not. Your A&K might push a .20g bb at 400 Fps but I highly doubt it has the stock power to raise the velocity of the .42 effectively. Remember as you increase the weight of the bb the fps will drop. Therefore, you must compensate for that on the chart. A .25g bb traveling at 350 fps is more effective than the .42 traveling at 280 fps.

Zen's Avatar Community Elder Statesman

Distance isnt the magic ingredient in airsoft. I cant tell you how many times I have simply ducked out of the way of shots that I saw comming.
    The idea is to get the right mix of distance, accuracy...and SPEED to fit your weapon and playing style. A slow BB isnt as bad for a sniper as it is for a rifleman. The quicker your BB gets there, the less time the target has to react...plus, if the target is moving, its easier to hit them with a faster BB.
    All of my CQB guns use .20's. My guns that shoot at 350 to 425 with .20's, I use .25's. In my DMR that shoots 445 fps with .25's, I use .28's and .30's. I know what each gun shoots like with that specific ammo.

Wraith

Exactly.

immortalish's Avatar Junior Community Member

ya i knew that graph was ****ing me

I think what the chart is meant to do is be a reference point only and nothing else. Their is no real way to make a chart to count in all the factors that affect field operations as all of us should know. Manufacture recommendations need to be follow at the beginning of course even if it doesn't match the chart. Then adjust according after some testing and adjustments.

Also there is alot of good advice within this thread that one needs to consider when choosing the right weight bb to use.